Not-For-Profit and Community Development
DOZ has significant experience providing audit and tax services to not-for-profit organizations. Notably, DOZ prepares tax returns for and consults with over 350 exempt organizations. DOZ commonly works with not-for-profits engaged in various community development endeavors. Many of our initial not-for-profit clients came through referrals from organizations that oversaw the day-to-day operations of affordable housing projects.
Not-for-profit organizations face challenges similar to those of any other business. Some of the challenges include identifying the best use of resources available, remaining financially viable while operational costs continue to increase and revenues decrease. Not-for-profit organizations must also address a whole host of unique regulatory concerns.
We have the experience and technical expertise to identify and address the higher risk processes of your organization, such as the financial statement close process and eliminations, compliance with grant and funding documents, and consolidation of affordable housing entities.
DOZ has considerable experience auditing organizations receiving funding from various sources. A sample of some of the additional programs for which DOZ has experience is as follows:
- Affordable Housing Program Conditional Grants,
- Affordable Housing Trust Fund Program,
- Community Development Block Grants,
- Department of Veterans Affairs – Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Programs,
- Department of Energy – Weatherization Assistance Program Grant (Recovery Act Funded),
- Department of Health and Human Services – Communities Putting Prevention to Work Initiative Funding (Recovery Act Funded),
- Emergency Shelter Grants Programs,
- Green Retrofit Program for Multifamily Housing Grants (Recovery Act Funded),
- Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS,
- HOME Investments Partnership Program Funds,
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program Grants (Recovery Act Funded),
- Section 4 Capacity Building for Community Development and Affordable Housing Grants,
- Service Coordinator Cost Reimbursement Grants,
- Supportive Housing for the Elderly,
- Tax Credit Assistance Program (Recovery Act Funded),
- United Way of Central Indiana Engagement Center Awareness Campaign, and
- United Way of Central Indiana Homeless Prevention & Awareness, Outreach Training.